วันพุธที่ 17 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2553

The language of the Appalachians

I am very surprised while in Jamaica a few years ago and was told that I, yes, an accent. You see, like my paternal grandmother, I do not stretch the word "corn bread" into four syllables. You might say: "Here. Do you have any co-Orn-Bray-Ed," and I would say: "You want some 'corn-bread?" You see? Two syllables on the cornbread, "you" instead of "her".

Unlike my maternal grandmother, I say 'Carrion, rather than "kyarn." In fact, I had no idea what he was talkinguntil recently, when I mentioned the word to my husband. I said, "My grandmother used to say:" What smell kyarn. "I never understood what" kyarn 'was. "He said," Kill Road. "My mouth." You mean, carrion? Carcass Kyarn is? "" Yes, "he said." Put the Appalachian accent on it. "It makes no sense.

Unlike my mother-in-law, I say "fought," and not "suitable".

So I came that I have no accent. Finally, I'm fairly well trained. I studied French for three years, and ISome self-study German and Greek. I am also well read, and I wrote some books. Not me the berries? I was unable to find a hillbilly, Appalachian accent. And yet, in Jamaica, I met all asked, "What part of the South are you from?"

So, I did a little research and learned that the Appalachian region has its own language. Linguists call it "Appalachian English." The Scots, Irish settled throughout the Appalachian region (all of West Virginia and parts of the knownVirginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia) in mid 1700. At that time, physical boundaries kept out of modernization. Then in 1940 created the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which has brought tourists to the area. Since 1950, highways and telephones were more common in the Appalachians, bringing the modern world, another step towards the rural population.

Now I do not think you think that in Appalachia are a group of snobs. Werecognize that these migrants were settled here land elsewhere, but the linguists tell us that our way of speaking they are not in another dialect, to the extent that they are in the Appalachian Mountains. In addition, we use changes in the way we speak of the Appalachians. Just because I do not use the same words of my grandmother, does not mean that I do not have an Appalachian accent. In fact, linguists say that each region has its own way of speaking and that most of us accept that ourTo control the situation, our language. For example, when I talk with my family, I am responsible for the triplet left a bit '- use a little' more Appalachian English and a little 'less standard American English. In a formal situation, I will take up a lot less Appalachian English. Even though I know from personal experience that most Appalachians are not "dumb Hillbillies," I fear that the other me as if I have the language that I could see, of course, use. And yet, some phonologicalThe differences are so inbred that I can use.

Did you know that sleep t the end of the non-silent? You might say: "I slept in this morning." I would say: 'I Slep in. "For me it is only' t 'is incorrect. Reminds me of an episode of "All in the Family" where Edith met a jew and the baker called "Change." She said: "My name is Edith! Do!" So he called her "Edit-you." Would be for me, "Slep-t" is simply embarrassing.

You said "exactly" or "exackly? AndHow about ten? I have also heard, "ten" with a sound brief and - as in the word "bed". How strange is it? Tin and ten are words with exack "sound the same but have different meanings.

Linguists also point out some differences in lexical Appalachian English. For example, the standard American English word might be faucet, but the Appalachian English version would tap. If someone looks bad, you could say that has reached "(Peek-DE) Group. You have the wrong finger?" Then weyou could say "burnt down". I once knew a man who "substitute" for "there". He said: "I have to go in the store, because I'm out of milk." My brother would replace the rest of our family with the word "Nim". I asked, "But Mama and nim go to the store?" Some people say "knowed instead of" knew "." We apologize for our famous double negative. "I have nothing like that." Our present perfect is a growing skepticism. "He has done that, now!"

This little excursionin my Appalachian heritage has given me new insights. You could cut some of our "buildings," one might expect, "" and not "estimate", at times, and we could do the judges with exotic names such as "Lick Skillet," "Frog Holler" and "Sugar" but we have a rich history. We know where to go and come in many cases where we are. And if anyone thinks we're a bunch of ignorant Hillbillies, then you should come to know us a little 'better. If you stay long enough, weable to teach you to speak correctly.

My Links : Traveller Program Thaitripstoday.com koh tao snorkeling Handmade thai shopping

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น